The War Room
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Escalation League May 3rd-August 2nd Rules and commentary

+2
Fletch
RichardSAnderson
6 posters

Go down

Escalation League May 3rd-August 2nd Rules and commentary Empty Escalation League May 3rd-August 2nd Rules and commentary

Post  RichardSAnderson Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:21 pm

Stay tuned, Info coming soon.

RichardSAnderson
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Escalation League May 3rd-August 2nd Rules and commentary Empty campaign Rules

Post  RichardSAnderson Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:07 pm

Entry fee: 5.00.
This will be collected May 3rd and will provide prize support.

Campaign rule about painted vs unpainted

Painting is not required in order to participate in this league, there will be no scoring or competition concerning painting skills. However as an incentive to paint all units that are completely painted get a bonus: The unit may reroll a single die per game. This could be a single attack or 1 of the two charge distance dice, or anything else that would occur. However artillery or scatter die cannot be re-rolled in this manner (such as warmachine firing).

Rule changes to WH Fantasy 8th ed

Magic
Instant kill spells (such as Purple sun, final transmutation, etc) cause 1 wound . In the case of multiwound model units wounds taken will accumulate to remove models.

Special rules
Terror: In order to charge a unit which causes terror the unit must pass a LD test. If failed the unit does not move as it is busy making a mess. This is a terror test and only a single terror test per source of terror can be taken in a game.

Scenarios
Watchtower: the unit attacking the tower once it has made a successful charge remains locked in combat with the occupants of the tower. However due to the difficulties of being engaged with a defended building the unit may still be shot at and treated as if it is not in combat as there are plenty of warriors “standing in line” Flank and rear charges on these units add to CR but other than that the CR rules remain the same (wounds only) This grants the simulation of relieving the pressure on the warriors inside.

Victory Points- as per the book except
At the end of the game any units fleeing due to combat or casualties count as destroyed.
To count as a win you must wipe out your enemy or score 50% more Victory points then your opponent did. I.E You scored 1500 VPs while your opponent scored 1000 would be considered a win.

Escalation- army building:
We start at 1500 points and will eventually end at 3,000.
Your characters are incredibly important. More on that later. How escalation will work
You will create a 1500 point list, play with this same list for two weeks. When we move from 1 point level to the next you are allowed a full reform except your characters cannot change. They may upgrade (such as a lvl 1 wizard upgrading to a level 2 or a character adding something that is optional such as big names or chaos marks/gifts) but cannot un-upgrade (ignoring mounts and mundane/magical equipment). At any point you may choose to retire a character.
Example: week 2 my 1500 pt army was comprised of 3 units of skeleton warriors and 1 lord character, week 3 for 1750 I can switch out the 3 units of Skeletons for 3 units of chariots (or whatever) but my Lord character has to remain in the list. He may exchange back into and out of your inventory magic items (more later) and change mounts and mundane equipment but if I took Chaos power XYZ I could not drop it in favor of something else.
Characters:
Your heroes/lords are the most important part of your force. They are seasoned warriors ready to do your (the Army commander) bidding. Magic items however are rare and these initial battles warrant their use in other matters. Each player has a magic item inventory upon which to draw upon. This inventory starts with up to 2 items from the base rulebook(3 if you have an 8th ed book) and up to 2 from your armybook (1 if you have an 8th ed book). This inventory will increase as games are played and scenario objectives met. Everyone will have 50 points to purchase these initial magic items with. Unspent points may be saved for later purchases in your treasury. You may sell magic items at 2/3rds their point value (round up) if forced to by rolls on casualty or survival tables. (more on that later)
For those armies that can have other items in addition to magic items (such as Chaos gifts, vampire powers etc) These are also purchased out of your magic item inventory these armies start with an additional 30 points that can only be applied towards these special powers. These special powers however cannot be “traded” or “sold” once a character has spent points on them they are permanently upgraded as such.
After each battle your heroes will roll on one of two tables: if they were struck down in battle they roll on the casualty table, otherwise the survived table. These tables will have a myriad of outcomes which may increase your treasury or decrease it… it may also kill your character outright or grant small bonuses.
Some Scenarios will be adjusted and given different primary or secondary objectives, this will be revealed with the scenario when matchups are revealed. These will have some form of influence and may grant treasury points or have other potential effects.
There are Relics available to capture or find, when this is the case it will be stated. Relics will come into play in one of two ways. You may try to barter these relics/discover what they are by rolling on a table. There is a chance of getting unique magic items this way or you may find out that your relic is actually just a piece of junk. The second is a secret for now, but suffice to say it is of equal value to either “spend” your relics or keep them.

League Competition guidelines
Wins, Draws, and Losses will give you league points, No shows will give you 0 points. Some scenarios may provide additional points and will be denoted when applicable.
Richard Anderson (I) will be running the league, I will not compete but will fill in as needed
In the past we’ve done team games which have been entertaining but with the larger point values they just take too long, there will be no team games this league.
Opponents will not be selected via standings; I will create a matrix prior to the start of the league. This will ensure that everyone gets a chance to play everyone else; (Barring no-shows and number of participants). I will drop players into random positions on this matrix which will be kept hidden to try to avoid potential army list tailoring.
From each battle on your score sheets will be a most valuable unit section. I would like you to take the time to write out what was the best moment in the game… did your cannon crew somehow drive off Khorne knights in CC? Did one unit somehow manage to perform over and above any expectation? List up to two units and their accomplishments from the game (1 from each army)

RichardSAnderson
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Escalation League May 3rd-August 2nd Rules and commentary Empty Additional Information

Post  RichardSAnderson Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:43 pm

for the purpose of creating the player matrix prior to the first night of the league, if you plan on joining in please either post here, email me, or let me know in person.

Also please read the campaign rules carefully, especially notice that magic items are LIMITED

Non 8th Ed armies: Your beginning inventory can start with 2 magic items from your armybook and 2 magic items from the BRB up to a combined total of 50 points.

8th Ed armies: Your beginning inventory can start with 1 magic item from your armybook and 3 magic items from the BRB up to a combined total of 50 points.

When Treasury points are gained you are free to spend them between your armybook's magic items or the BRB items.

If your Army has an additional customization for Characters such as chaos powers/gifts/mutations, Vampire powers, big names, etc then you also start with an additional 30 points in your treasury that may only be spent on these powers. Any further gains of treasury points may be freely spent between magic items and/or these powers as you like.

RichardSAnderson
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Escalation League May 3rd-August 2nd Rules and commentary Empty Aaron Johnson - OnG

Post  Fletch Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:24 pm

Hey, Richard. I am planning on being there for the start of the league. Looking at running OnG, so at least most players will get an easy shot out of the gate Very Happy

Last edited by Fletch on Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
Fletch
Fletch
Captain
Captain

Back to top Go down

Escalation League May 3rd-August 2nd Rules and commentary Empty campaign rule update

Post  RichardSAnderson Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:39 pm

There are a few changes occuring to my initial rule types.

current:
At the end of the game any units fleeing due to combat or casualties count as destroyed.
To count as a win you must wipe out your enemy or score 50% more Victory points then your opponent did. I.E You scored 1500 VPs while your opponent scored 1000 would be considered a win.

Modified:
At the end of the game any units fleeing that would require insane courage in order to rally will count as destroyed.

There has been quite a bit of discussion both ways on the Instant kill spells, This may change as well.

RichardSAnderson
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Escalation League May 3rd-August 2nd Rules and commentary Empty Change to Victory Points

Post  RichardSAnderson Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:52 pm

Looks like in the newest FAQ GW has updated the Victory Points rules to be

"Win: If you score 100 more victory points then your opponent"
We will be going with this instead of the 50% modification I listed to the BRB.

Also of interesting note is an errata to Okkam's Mindrazor:
"replace models use their leadership instead of their strength with Models use the leadership in their profile in place of their strength.
so no modifiers of any sort to Leadership will affect the strength replacement for Mindrazor

RichardSAnderson
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Escalation League May 3rd-August 2nd Rules and commentary Empty Characters Question

Post  Fletch Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:52 pm

So we can have as many characters as we want, but only 50pts of magic items each - or 50pts total for 1 hero/lord choice, or 50 pts total to split between 3-4 choices?

And does this include banners and upgrading casters in levels?
Fletch
Fletch
Captain
Captain

Back to top Go down

Escalation League May 3rd-August 2nd Rules and commentary Empty Re: Escalation League May 3rd-August 2nd Rules and commentary

Post  Matthew Ochs Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:27 pm

Richard, I will be joining The League's Fantasy players in battle this summer on the fields all across Old World! Huzzah! Sign me up as a vampire counts player.

See everyone on Thursday!
Matthew Ochs
Matthew Ochs
Admin & 40k Mentor
Admin & 40k Mentor

Back to top Go down

Escalation League May 3rd-August 2nd Rules and commentary Empty Richard!

Post  Fletch Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:32 pm

Reply needed! If anyone sees him, please have him respond. Trying to get my list ready for Thursday!
Fletch
Fletch
Captain
Captain

Back to top Go down

Escalation League May 3rd-August 2nd Rules and commentary Empty Re: Escalation League May 3rd-August 2nd Rules and commentary

Post  RichardSAnderson Tue May 01, 2012 11:11 am

Fletch wrote:So we can have as many characters as we want, but only 50pts of magic items each - or 50pts total for 1 hero/lord choice, or 50 pts total to split between 3-4 choices?

And does this include banners and upgrading casters in levels?

Sorry Fletch, I was out in Dallas for Botcon. Just got back.
you can pick your characters as per normal army building rules Magic items are handled differently

you have an initial treasury of only 50 points with which to spend on magic items. each battle will provide more treasury points or other methods of gaining magic weapons. If I remember correctly you are running High elves so you can purchase up to 2 items from the BRB and/or up to 2 items from your pre 8th ed armybook. so for example you could put into your treasury the glittering scales and a potion of healing and then when it comes time to building your armylist give the glittering scales to your prince and the healing potion to your archmage.
after the battle these items go back into your inventory.
your next battle you could purchase a dragonbane gem and then equip your archmage with the glittering scales and dragonbane gem, giving the healing potion to your prince etc.

RichardSAnderson
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Bigglesworth Tue May 01, 2012 10:25 pm

What did you decide on offensive magic rules for the league? Also, are we able to change our magic lores weekly?

Also, does the point limit on magic items also affect Dwarven runes such as the Rune of Accuracy and such?
Bigglesworth
Bigglesworth
New Recruit
New Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post  RichardSAnderson Wed May 02, 2012 8:59 am

Bigglesworth wrote:What did you decide on offensive magic rules for the league? Also, are we able to change our magic lores weekly?

Also, does the point limit on magic items also affect Dwarven runes such as the Rune of Accuracy and such?

I think I will put the magic rules to a vote tomorrow.
yes your lore can change from week to week
Dwarves are also limited since Runes are their magic item system. If Dwarves are unable to purchase magic items from the BRB they can select all 4 of their items from their armybook.

RichardSAnderson
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Escalation League May 3rd-August 2nd Rules and commentary Empty Magic Items and Unit Upgrades

Post  shawn.jahns Thu May 03, 2012 10:36 am

Hey Richard, I'll be playing WoC today. I've got a quick question about whether Magic Banners count towards the Magic Item allowance and whether unit/character Marks count towards the 30 points of special upgrades?

shawn.jahns
New Recruit
New Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post  RichardSAnderson Thu May 03, 2012 12:15 pm

shawn.jahns wrote:Hey Richard, I'll be playing WoC today. I've got a quick question about whether Magic Banners count towards the Magic Item allowance and whether unit/character Marks count towards the 30 points of special upgrades?

Magic banners are part of the magic items/inventory.
Marks represent the unit worshiping a god. Its like Orcs having an upgrade for Big'uns in my eyes. they are unit upgrades/mundane upgrades that are not dependent on magic.
I don't have a copy of the warriors book however. if the cost of a mark counts towards a magic or chaos gift limit then the character mark would fall under restrictions. I have a feeling its something seperate though.

RichardSAnderson
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Escalation League May 3rd-August 2nd Rules and commentary Empty Thursday League

Post  The Village Idiot Thu May 03, 2012 5:29 pm

[quote="RichardSAnderson"]for the purpose of creating the player matrix prior to the first night of the league, if you plan on joining in please either post here, email me, or let me know in person.

Richard,

I probably won't be joining immediately, I'm not sure about Dayton.
I can't commit to being there every Thursday.

But I'll certainly make it as often as I can to help out.

Thanks,
Patrick

The Village Idiot
The Village Idiot
New Recruit
New Recruit

Back to top Go down

Escalation League May 3rd-August 2nd Rules and commentary Empty first blood is drawn

Post  RichardSAnderson Sun May 06, 2012 11:50 am

so the first night of the league has come and gone.

It was decided by majority vote that the magic rules remain so instant kill spells are as they are in the rules.

The idea of make up games was brought up as well. I think this may be fine but I will probably schedule a non-thursday day as a make up date. if you miss a game session during the league keep an eye out for these dates.

Last edited by RichardSAnderson on Fri May 11, 2012 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

RichardSAnderson
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Escalation League May 3rd-August 2nd Rules and commentary Empty May miss tonight

Post  Fletch Thu May 10, 2012 10:31 am

Seems everything is bunched together the last few weeks of May...

I may not be attending tonight due to family commitments, but fear not - the Savage orcs will return, unless someone wants a late night game...
Fletch
Fletch
Captain
Captain

Back to top Go down

Escalation League May 3rd-August 2nd Rules and commentary Empty Next week

Post  RichardSAnderson Fri May 11, 2012 12:42 pm

Remember starting next week thursday the 17th we are moving to 1750 pt armies! you can do a full rewrite of your list except for characters

If possible try to come to 31st a bit earlier as next weeks scenario is going to be a bit involved.

RichardSAnderson
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down